Although not a common condition, boils on the inner thigh are painful when they occur not to mention that they can make walking around difficult. These are usually the result of bacterial infection and inflammation. The underlying causes of boils on inner thighs are discussed herein as well as various simple home remedies to get rid of the problem.
What Causes Boils On the Inner Thigh?
Usually characterized by red, tender, and painful skin lumps (skin abscesses), boils on inner thighs are typically caused by an infection of the hair follicles by Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. These bacteria are naturally located on the surface of the skin as well as the nasal lining and don’t cause problems unless they enter the skin through cuts or abrasions.
When that happens, the immune system responds by sending white blood cells into the affected hair follicles in an attempt to ward of the infection. This results in inflammation of the hair follicle and thus the formation of a boil on the inner thigh or any other part of the body e.g. buttocks, groin area, buttocks, etc.
With time, dead skin cells, white blood cells, and bacteria mix to form pus which progressively build-up in the boil.
Boils on inner thigh initially show up as reddened, tender areas on the skin before progressively turning into firm, more tender bumps. Ultimately, the center part of the boils accumulate pus and soften before coming to a head.
Among the underlying causes of boils on inner thighs are:
- Hair follicle damage e.g. from ingrown hair caused by improper shaving or waxing, use of harsh chemicals, or use of harsh chemicals, etc.
- Foreign objects e.g. splinters that have been stuck in the skin.
- Immune weakening conditions: Although not direct causes of boils on inner thighs, immune compromising conditions the likes of HIV, diabetes, kidney failure etc. have also been linked to higher risk of boils. A condition known as hypogammaglobulinemia can also increase propensity to boils. This causes hampered production of antibodies.
- Use of certain medications: Some medications have also been shown to cause higher risk of boils. Chemotherapy medications (used to treat cancer) and cortisone medications such as prednisone (available under brand names such as Liquid Pred and Deltasone) and Prednisolone (sold under names such as Medroll, Pediapred etc.) are example of such drugs.
- Poor nutrition: Without adequate supply of Vitamins A, C, and B (particularly Vitamin B6) which helps to boost the immune system and boost our body’s ability to fight infections, the body may become susceptible to illnesses, including boils.
- Inadequate Hygiene: This can cause a build-up of bacteria on the skin and eventually lead to boils on inner thighs, buttocks, etc.
How to Get Rid Of Boils on Inner Thigh at Home
So, how do you get rid of boils on inner thigh?
Most boils heal with simple home remedies but should these fail or the boils recur so frequently, then medical treatment e.g. antibiotics, surgical drainage, etc. may be necessary. It is also advisable to seek medical attention if the boil is accompanied by fever. According to the Medicine Net, boils are best treated as early as possible to avoid further complications. Below is how to get rid of boils on inner thigh fast at home.
Treat the Boil with Heat
This is one of the easiest home remedies for boils on inner thigh but is very effective. The idea is to apply heat to the boil to help it come to a head faster. By increasing blood circulation to the affected area of the skin, heat facilitates faster white blood cells and antibodies action, thus faster healing of the boils (skin abscesses). Here is how to treat a boil on your inner thigh with the heat method:
- Soak a face cloth in warm water and then wring out the excess water.
- Apply the cloth gently on the boil for 10-20 minutes, re-soaking it as necessary to re-heat it.
- Repeat this home treatment for 3-4 times throughout the day until the boil comes to a head.
- When that happens, drain the boil of pus and then cover it with a sterile gauze. You may also apply an anti-bacterial ointment at this point if you have one.
- Finish by washing your hands with warm water and soap.
- Soaking the skin in warm water frequently can also help it to heal faster.
Heal it colorfully with Turmeric
The colorful appearance of turmeric can make you pass it for a boils treatment but it has potent antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that are very beneficial to healing of boils on inner thighs and indeed any other part of the skin. A compound in turmeric referred to as curcumin is also touted to help relieve the pain due to boils.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric with enough water to form a paste with thick consistency. Apply the paste on the parts of the inner thighs affected by the boils. Allow the past to work for 20-30 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water. Use this home remedy several times daily until the boils come to a head and heal.
- Drinking turmeric-milk mixture also helps. Pour ½ teaspoon of powdered turmeric to a glass of milk. Bring the mixture to a boil and then sip it. Repeat twice daily until the boil pops and heal.
- Mix powdered (crushed) turmeric with ginger extract and stir thoroughly to form a thick paste. Apply the paste on the boils on inner thighs every once per day until the abscesses go away.
Use Neem (Indian lilac) to Get Rid of Boils on Inner Thigh
Neem has long history of medicinal uses in India owing to its antiseptic and antibacterial properties. Also referred to as margosa, neem can be used to treat boils on inner thighs naturally as follows:
- Clean a handful of fresh neem leaves with cool water and then crush them into a paste. Apply the paste on the areas of the skin affected by boils. Rinse the paste off after half an hour or so. Repeat three times daily.
- Another way to use neem to cure boils is to boil a handful of neem leaves in a small pot and evaporate about 2/3 of the water. Apply the remaining solution to the boils on the inner thighs with the help of a washcloth (after it cools down).
Tap into the Healing Power of Aloe Vera
The aloe vera plant is a gift from nature that simply never stop giving. From burns to acne, aloe vera is an amazing natural dermatological solution. The healing properties of aloe vera can also be used to get rid of boils on inner thighs while relieving the pain associated with them. Here is how to use this natural home remedy for this purpose:
- Get a fresh aloe vera leaf and snap it open. Apply the oozing juice on the parts of the thigh affected by boils.
- An over-the-counter aloe vera gel can also help to treat boils and carbuncles.
Epsom Salt Treatment
Among the most cost effective home remedies for boils on inner thigh also is Epsom salt. This salt helps to make the boil burst naturally faster so you can drain the bacteria and the fluids in it off. It is also hailed for its ability to draw out toxins and impurities trapped in your skin.
Add ¼ cup of Epsom salt to a basin to which a couple cups of warm water have been added. Stir thoroughly to dissolve the salt. Soak a clean washcloth with the resulting solution and then apply it to the affected parts of the inner thigh. Use this home treatment regularly to make the boils drain faster.
Alternatively, add 2 cups of Epsom salt to bath water and then relax in the bath tub for 20 minutes or so. Allow the skin dry naturally. Repeat this home remedy for boils on inner thigh once per day until the abscesses heal.
Toothpaste is an unlikely candidate is as far as home remedies for boils on inner thighs, but it surely works. Below is how to treat boils on inner thigh at home with toothpaste.
- Apply a pea-sized amount of toothpaste directly on the head of the boils and leave it on for a couple hours, then rinse it off with warm water. Repeat every few hours and those boils will soon come to a head.
Use Onion remedies
The natural antiseptic properties can also be tapped into to fight bacterial infection and promote healing of boils on inner thighs. Here is how to get rid of boils on inner thigh with onion:
- Chop a fresh onion into thin slices and then rub them gently on the boils.
- Now place a slice directly on each of the boils before wrapping a clean cloth – or cotton gauze and medical tapes – around the thigh to help it stay intact.
- Remove the onion slice after 15-20 minutes.
- Repeat the process every morning and evening until the boil ripens and heal.
Other onion treatment methods:
- Grate an onion and then place the paste on the boils as a dressing for 30 minutes or so before rinsing it off with water. Repeat this home remedy twice daily.
- You can also use onion-infused water to treat boils on inner thigh. Simply cut an onion into thin slices and then drop them into a pot with 2 cups of water, then heat it until two‑thirds of the water evaporates off, then use the remaining solution to cure the boils once it has taken enough time to cool down.
Apply Tea Tree Oil
Numerous scientific studies have shown tea tree oil to have potent medicinal properties. The antibacterial properties of this natural remedy makes it an especially great home treatment for boils on inner thigh. To avoid the risk of irritation however, you will want to use tea tree oil in a diluted solution or mixture as follows:
- To a bowl of warm water, add a couple drops of tea tree oil. Soak a washcloth or cotton swab with the tea tree oil solution and then apply it gently on the boils until the heat dissipates out, then re-soak it again. Repeat the process for 10 minutes each time, a few times daily until the boils heal. You can also dilute tea tree oil with lavender oil.
Cornmeal is another effective natural home remedy for boils on inner thighs. Its absorptive properties will help to draw out the pus and bacteria in the boils and thus make them come to a head faster. Here is how to remove boils from inner thigh:
- To a tablespoon of cornmeal, add enough water to make a paste with thick consistency. Work it into the areas of the thighs affected by boils. Rinse it off after 20 minutes. Use this home remedy several time daily.
Apply Garlic to Get Rid of Boils on Inner Thigh
Garlic also has powerful antibacterial properties that make it a good remedy to remove boils. Below is how to get rid of boils on inner thigh using garlic:
- Use pestle and mortar to make garlic paste from 2-3 cloves of garlic.
- Squeeze the juice coming out of the garlic paste into a cotton pad and apply it all over the affected areas of the thigh.
- Use this home treatment 2-3 times daily
Alternatively, make a fine paste by mixing a paste of crushed garlic with a teaspoon of turmeric, then apply it on the treatment areas.
- Beyond Disease: 7+ Home Remedies to Get Rid of Boils on Inner Thighs, Butt etc.
- Medicine Net: Boils (Skin Abscesses)
- NHS Choices: Boils and carbuncles