Also referred to as love bites, hickeys are skin blemishes that result when someone kisses or sucks your skin too aggressively. This causes the blood capillaries in the skin to burst resulting in one or more red to purple bruises on the neck, face etc. Hickeys typically last between 5 and 12 days. If waiting a week or so however sounds like too much to ask for, you can always help the hickeys heal faster using various home remedies.
Below are some of the best ways to get rid of hickeys on your neck, lip, breast, arm or any other part of the face or skin faster. As you will soon notice, most of these home remedies are suitable for both guys and ladies:
Use a Cold Compress
If anything comes close to overnight treatment, then it has got to be icing; it is arguably the fastest way to get rid of a hickey marks. A cold compress helps to disperse the blood while constricting the superficial blood capillaries responsible for the bleeding and bruising, thus reducing the appearance of the love bites. This method is however best used ASAP since it is the most effective on new hickies. It is also best used on the neck and face. Try to use it in as fast as an hour or even minutes of getting the love bite.
As regards how to get rid of hickeys with ice, there are two ways to go about it as outlined below:
- Wrap some ice cubes in a small towel – to avoid ice burn – and then place it on the love bites for 15-20 minutes at intervals of 3 to 4 hours throughout the day.
- Alternatively, chill a spoon in the refrigerator for 10 minutes or so and then wrap it in a cloth before patting your love bites with its back side until it loses its coldness. Repeat the frozen spoon home remedy 3 to 5 times until you make the hickeys go away.
Massage the Hickey with a Toothbrush
A toothbrush can also help to remove hickeys by breaking the blood clots and thus dispersing the blood accumulated in the affected area. So how do you get rid of hickies faster with this method? Below is an easy to follow guideline:
Brush the love bite with a stiff-bristle toothbrush applying enough pressure to disperse the blood but not too much to potentially scratch and rupture your skin. Do this for 10 to 15 minutes 2 to 3 minutes daily for effective hickeys removal.
Apply a Warm Compress
I see the look on your face right now. I know it sounds just plain contradictory to the cold compress method of love bites removal. Applying heat is beneficial to hickies but is only advisable for those that have been around for a few days, say 2 or 3 days; a guideline of 48 hours or more is typically given for warm compresses.
At his point, the blood capillaries will have healed and closed and the leaked blood is responsible for the appearance of the hickies. Warm compresses help to boost blood circulation and quicken the reabsorption process for the leaked blood. Here is how to get rid of hickeys with a warm compress:
- Soak a small towel in hot water and then wring out the excess water.
- Apply it on your skin until it dissipates all the heat.
- Repeat the process over a period of 5 to 10 minutes.
- Finish off by massaging the affected area gently with your fingertips.
Use Aloe Vera to get rid of Hickies
With its unmatched healing power, aloe vera is one of the best natural home remedies for hickies. For hickeys removal, snip an aloe vera leaf and then squeeze out its juice directly on the bruised areas of the skin twice or thrice daily. Alternatively, apply a commercial aloe vera gel or cream onto the love bites 2-3 times daily. Leave it on the skin for 10-15 minutes before washing it off with cool water.
Pat with Small Cylindrical Items
This method works by breaking down the blood clots in the bruise. From a lipstick or ChapStick cap to a pen cap, AA battery, name it, any cylindrical object will do the trick. Below is how to get rid of hickeys using this somewhat weird method:
- Place the cylindrical object of your choice on top the love bite.
- Apply slight pressure – not too much to potentially break your skin – and then twist the object as far as your skin can allow.
- Keep the object in the twisted position for a few seconds and then release to allow the object return to its original position.
- Repeat this home remedy over a period of 10 minutes several times throughout the day and your love bite will soon be gone.
Treat the Hickey with a Coin
A coin is yet another effective hickey cure that is very easy to use albeit painful.
- Place your fingers on the margins of the hickey and then pull them apart to stretch the skin around it.
- Now get any coin you can get (penny, nickel, euro etc.) and rub it on the skin as though you are literally scraping the bruise away. Don’t use too much pressure as this might break the skin.
- This method will leave your skin with notable redness but that will disappear in a matter of minutes which is faster than the love bite would have taken to go away.
Rub a Banana Peel
A banana peel is yet another amazing way to get rid of hickies naturally. It helps to soothe and cool the bruise and thus aid in faster healing.
- Cut a small piece out of a banana peel; enough to cover the love bite.
- Place it on the hickey so that the inner surface is in contact with your skin.
- Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Use this home remedy 2-3 times daily for effective hickeys removal.
Remove the Hickey with Toothpaste
A lot of people will swear to the effectiveness of toothpaste as a hickeys cure. Mint-flavored toothpaste is reportedly particularly good. Below is how to get rid of hickeys with toothpaste:
- Apply a pinch of toothpaste all over the love bite and then spread it into a thin layer.
- Leave it on until the tingling sensation goes away, then wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat the process then next evening, preferably before bedtime.
Massage the Hickey
Although not a quick fix, massaging the love bite helps to break the blood clots and enhance circulation in the area which then increases the rate at which blood is reabsorbed into the body. Here are some of the best ways to use the massage method to cure hickeys marks:
- Warm the bruised area with a small towel that has been dipped in warm water.
- Now massage the area firmly with your fingertips working from the center of the love bite outwards.
- Repeat this home treatment severally in the course of the day for the best hickey healing action.
Get Rid Of the Hickey with Vinegar
Vinegar is also touted to help remove love bites. Simply dissolve a tablespoon of vinegar in a glass of distilled water and then dab the solution on the hickey with a clean washcloth two to three times daily until the bruise heals. Wash it off after 10 minutes.
Get Lots of Vitamin K
Vitamin K is known to facilitate faster healing of hickeys by aiding in the re-absorption of the leaked blood. To supply the body with vitamin K, takes lots of foods rich in the vitamin including broccoli, spinach, brown rice and kale. Creams with vitamin K also serves as great hickey removal creams. Simply apply the cream (or lotion) of your choice to the love bites 2 to 3 times daily until it goes away.
The soothing effect of rubbing alcohol is also very beneficial to hickeys. It is however best suited for use on hickies that just happened (say in a few minutes or a couple hours). Below is how to get rid of hickeys with rubbing alcohol:
- Soak a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol.
- Rub it into bruised area for a couple minutes.
- Finish off by applying moisturizer (lotion or cream) on the treatment area to curb the drying effect of rubbing alcohol.
- Use this home remedy 2 to 3 times each day over the course of 1-2 days and you will say bye to love bites.
All these home remedies for hickeys are known to get rid of the love bites effectively but don’t expect instant results; none of them is guaranteed to completely remove the bruise overnight but you are very likely to notice significant change within a short time of use. If anything, healing a love bite in a couple days is better than waiting a week or two. In case of a giant hickeys however, those that make you feel really uncomfortable, you may want to consider using makeup to hide them.