Looking for a homemade teeth whitener that really works? You are not alone. Rather than use teeth whitening strips, toothpastes, or chemical-laden commercial teeth whitening kits to get that pearly white smile back again, you can make your own cheaper teeth whitening recipe at the comfort of your home. Read on to find out how to make and use easy DIY, natural teeth whiteners.
Is Homemade Teeth Whitening Safe?
According to Bhandal Dentistry, it is possible and safe to whiten teeth naturally at home so long as it is done properly. For one baking soda, a common ingredient in homemade teeth whiteners, is very abrasive and can thus damage the enamel if used too frequently and for too long.
The same applies to strawberries if used for natural teeth whitening. As Bhandal Dentistry says, “the seeds of the strawberries have to be removed because they are very abrasive and they can scratch tooth enamel.”
As regards apple cider vinegar – which is rich in acetic acid – and other acidic ingredients, it is advisable to go slow as excessive whitening can soften and erode tooth enamel.
Best Homemade Teeth Whitener Recipes
They key to effective teeth whitening is to clean the stains off your teeth while at the same time minimizing enamel damage – you don’t want to end with whiter but sensitive teeth. Remember that most homemade teeth whiteners work by scrubbing the stains off as opposed to bleaching your teeth.
As Bhandal Dentistry however points out, most DIY teeth whitening solutions give results relatively slower compared to professional teeth whitening products and services.
As the WebMD also says, it is unlikely that any teeth whitening product, commercial or homemade, will “change the baseline color of your teeth.” This is to mean that if you desire teeth that are whiter than your enamel color, a bleaching treatment from a dentist’s office may be a better option. With that said, let us now outline some of the best homemade teeth whitener recipes available:
1. Baking Soda Teeth Whitening Recipes
Baking soda is a superstar when it comes to whitening of teeth. Its gritty texture helps to scrub stains off the surface of teeth. If you have braces, however, you should not use baking soda teeth whitening solutions since it is known to weaken them.
Method 1: Baking Soda and Lemon Juice
- Baking soda
- Freshly prepared lemon juice
- Pour 1 teaspoon of baking soda into a small bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and then stir the ingredients thoroughly to make a fine paste.
- With the help of a clean cotton swab, wipe your teeth dry.
- Apply the paste with your toothbrush and leave it on for 1 minute (no longer than that).
- Now brush your teeth gently as you normally do for only 2 minutes, with the baking soda-lemon juice paste acting as the toothpaste.
- Rinse your teeth with water.
- Repeat this home remedy for teeth whitening for no more than once per week.
Method 2: Baking Soda Paste (With and Without Fluoride Toothpaste)
Here is yet another homemade teeth whitener with baking soda as an ingredient:
- Add your regular toothpaste to your toothbrush. Now sprinkle a pinch of baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) on the toothpaste. Finally, brush your teeth for 2 minutes, then rinse with water. Repeat this home treatment once a week until you get the desired results.
- Alternatively, wet your toothbrush and then add a pinch of baking soda on it. Add water if necessary to make a paste, then brush your teeth with it for 2 minutes. Rinse your teeth with water and then brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste (if you want). Repeat the baking soda part once only each week until you get a pearly white smile.
Method 3: Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide
According to Keith Arbeitman, a dentist based in New York, “Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide are among the oldest at-home teeth whitening remedies,” Hydrogen peroxide is usually effective on its own; all you have to do is rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide that has been diluted with equal proportion of water. You will however want to use the combination teeth whitening solution outlined below:
- Baking soda
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of baking soda with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide (3 percent concentration).
- Stir to make a fine paste.
- Brush your teeth with the paste for 2 minutes.
- Use this home remedy three times for one week.
- Repeat after 3-6 months if still necessary.
2. Strawberry Teeth Whitening Recipe
Strawberry is acidic and sugary. These two qualities makes it an unlikely candidate for a homemade teeth whitener but as Bhandal Dentistry says, strawberry can indeed safely whiten your smile if used correctly. Below is a how use strawberries to brighten your teeth:
- Get a couple strawberries and remove the seeds to avoid scratching the enamel.
- Crush the strawberries into a fine paste.
- Use the paste to brush your teeth as you normally do – without toothpaste.
- Finally, brush your teeth with your regular fluoride toothpaste.
- Repeat this 2 to 3 times each week until you achieved the desired results.
3. Strawberry and Baking Soda Teeth Whitener
- Mash one strawberry to form a fine paste
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda into the paste.
- Pour in 3 drops of lemon essential oil and stir thoroughly until well blended.
- Use the resulting mixture as toothpaste and brush your teeth for a couple minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with water, then brush as usual with your fluoride toothpaste.
- Repeat this DIY teeth brightening remedy 3 times per week.
If you don’t have lemon essential oil, use a small amount of freshly squeezed lemon juice. As for strawberries, leave them out if you are allergic to them.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
According to Bhandal Dentistry, apple cider vinegar is also effective in whitening stained teeth.
- To a cup of water, add ½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Gargle with the resulting solution and then brush your teeth with your regular fluoride toothpaste.
- Use this remedy 3 times per week (and no more than that to prevent enamel erosion) until you get back your pearly white smile.
5. Banana Peel Teeth Whitening Recipe
Banana peels are not just good for dry skin on feet. They can also help to whiten your smile. According to Gerry Curatola, a dentist based in New York, banana peels are rich in minerals such as magnesium, manganese, potassium etc. which when absorbed into the teeth enamel helps to brighten it up.
- Brush your teeth as usual.
- Peel a ripe banana and rub the inside of the peel all over your teeth for a couple minutes.
- Rinse your teeth with water.
- Do this regularly for best results.
6. Coconut Oil Homemade Teeth Whitener
The popularity of “oil-pulling” is increasingly growing for not only skin care but also teeth whitening and dental plaque removal. Wayne Perry, the CEO of Greensations claims that the fatty acids in coconut oil get broken down into enzymes that whiten teeth upon coming into contact with saliva in the mouth. By releasing plaque found on your teeth, coconut oil may also help to restore the natural color of your teeth.
- In the morning, swish a tablespoon of coconut oil around your mouth for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Spit the coconut oil out, then rinse your mouth with water.
- Now brush your teeth as usual.
- Repeat every day until you get a pearly white smile.
7. Turmeric Homemade Teeth Whitener
You may find it rather strange that turmeric can whiten teeth despite its tendency to stain everything it comes into contact with yellow, but it indeed works great? It is best used alongside baking soda and coconut oil as explained below:
- 4 tablespoons of turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons of Coconut oil
- Into a small bowl, add the turmeric powder followed by the baking soda and the coconut oil.
- With the help of a spoon or folk, mix the ingredients thoroughly to make a well blended mixture.
- Apply 2 teaspoons of this homemade teeth whitening solution on your toothbrush and then brush your teeth for 2 minutes.
- Swish pure coconut oil around your mouth for 1 minute and then spit it out.
- Finally, rinse your mouth with water.
- Use this treatment every other day for 2 weeks, then switch to once or twice per week thereafter.
8. Activated Charcoal Paste Teeth Whitener
Activated charcoal is the newest home remedies super-kid thanks to its detoxifying effects but that, it seems, is not all it has to offer. According to Joseph Banker, a dentist based in new Jersey, the porous granules in activated charcoal helps to bacteria and other substances that stain your teeth.
- Mix activated charcoal with enough water to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your teeth and leave it on for a couple minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with water.
- Brush as usual.
- Repeat this process often for best results.
Available reviews give mixed reactions with some people swearing to the effectiveness of these homemade teeth whiteners and others saying that it is not worth the time. Regardless you may still want to use them and see how they work for you; just make sure you follow the proper procedure to minimize risk of damage to the teeth.