Although the rate of nail growth varies from one person to another, it is estimated that they grow 0.1 millimeters on average per day. Generally, finger nails grow faster than toe nails while all nails grow faster in men than women. It has also been noted that nails on the dominant hand tend to grow faster. We discuss the causes of slow nail growth, natural and fast home remedies for nail growth as well as tips to enhance the strengthening and protection of your nails.
Causes of Slow Nail Growth
While the above is the normal trend for nail growth, it is not always certain. There are some nail problems such as splitting, breakage and brittleness that contribute to the slow growth of nails. These are caused by different problems.
A slow rate of growth for your nails can be caused by a problem in any part of the structure of the nail. This includes the root, nail bed, plate, cuticle, perionychium, and hyponychium. Some of the causes of slow nail growth are:
- Nail fungus which happens to be the root of most nail problems
- Trauma on the nails
- Injury on the nail matrix
- Nail biting and picking
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Hormonal imbalance
- Serious health conditions such as thyroid disease and psoriasis
Home Remedies for Nail Growth
Taking proper care of your nails is important in boosting their growth. It will also ensure that the present length is retained. In addition, there are various home remedies for nail growth which can be used to strengthen nails and promote growth. These are discussed below.
Olive Oil Home Remedy for Nails
Moisture is necessary in growing healthy and long nails. Olive oil promotes growth and is a great product for nail care. It contains vitamin E that helps to nourish the nails.
- Soak your nails in warm olive oil for up to 30 minutes daily to help promote growth.
- Before retiring to bed, apply a thick coat of warm olive oil on the nails and cuticles and gently massage it in for five minutes. Put on cotton gloves to enhance absorption.
Stinging Nettle for Nail Hardening
Stinging nettle is a herbal remedy that will enhance fast growth of nails. It is high in silica, a mineral that is useful in the formation of nail tissues. In addition, it helps in hardening and strengthening nails and thus prevent breakage. This helps in length retention.
- Heat a cup of water and add to it three teaspoons of dried stinging nettle.
- Cover this up and let steep for 10 minutes.
- Drink this up to gain its benefits.
Coconut Oil for Rapid Nail Growth
Most popular for its role in hair growth, coconut oil contains medicinal properties that help in healing nail conditions such as fungal infections which hinder nail growth. It also is rich in nutrients that are important in moisturizing the nails and thus promoting rapid growth of nails. This can be used in the same way as olive oil.
- Use coconut oil to prepare a nail soak by combining quarter a cup of coconut oil, an equal amount of honey and four drops of rosemary oil. Heat the solution in the microwave for 20 seconds. Soak your nails in this remedy for 20 minutes twice every week.
- Use extra virgin oil to massage your nails before going to sleep every night to improve blood circulation.
Flaxseed Oil for Growth of Nails
This is rich in omega 3 fatty acids and contains micronutrients such as potassium, magnesium, zinc and lecithin. These are vital for the growth of nails as well as in promoting their health.
- Massage some flaxseed oil on your nails gently for before going to sleep.
- To ensure the moisture gained is retained, wear gloves to bed.
- Repeat daily until desired results are achieved.
Orange Juice Easy Nail Growth Remedy
Orange juice is yet another great yet easy home remedy that promotes nail growth. It is high in vitamin C which promotes production of collagen. It also contains folic acid. These are essential for keeping nails strong and healthy.
- Soak your nails in orange juice for ten minutes.
- Using warm water, rinse the juice off.
- Use a hand cloth to pat dry before moisturizing them.
- Repeat the procedure daily.
Lemons Natural Remedy for Nail Growth and Strength
Just like oranges, lemons are rich in vitamin C which is essential for the growth of nails. In addition to this, it will help in bleaching yellow nails and giving them a normal shiny appearance.
- Add a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to three tablespoons of olive oil.
- Heat up the mixture slightly before soaking your nails in t for 10 minutes.
- Use the home remedy for nail growth daily.
- Alternatively, rub a lemon wedge on your nails and allow the juice to sit for five minutes. Rinse off with warm water, pat dry and moisturize.
In case you have cut on nails or have hangnails, do not use the lemon home remedies for nail growth as they may sting excessively.
Horsetail for Fast Nail Growth
Horsetail home remedy for nail growth is rich in minerals such as silica and calcium. It has been used since time immemorial as a herbal remedy for nail growth because of these properties.
- Bring two cups of water to a boil and add a teaspoon of dried horsetail stem to it.
- Cover up the mixture and allow steep for 15 minutes before straining.
- Allow it to cool to a level comfortable for the skin and soak your nails in it for 20 minutes.
- Repeat procedure every other day.
Tomatoes Natural Nail Growth Remedy
For the promotion of nail growth, tomatoes are highly enriched with biotin. They also have vitamins A and C which aid in the growth of nails.
- In a mixing bowl, combine half a cup of tomato juice with two tablespoons of olive oil.s
- Let your nails soak in this for 10 minutes.
- Repeat daily for the best results.
Biotin For fast Nail Growth
Biotin is also known as vitamin H which is among the vitamins necessary for the growth and health of nails. It improves production of keratin whose deficiency ay lead to weak brittle nails as well as nail growth.
Biotin can be attained instantly by consuming milk, strawberries, almonds, salmon, soy beans and lentils among other foods. There also are biotin supplements available in the market.
Fast Nail Growth Tips
In addition to the above home remedies for nail growth, here are some tips that will help in keeping them healthy and ensure their growth.
- Eat a healthy diet for nail growth. Include green tea in your diet to keep them strong.
- Always keep your nails and cuticles clean and dry. This will prevent fungal infections which can negatively affect the growth of nails.
- To keep the nails well moisturized, apply some oil on them before going to bed.
- Keep your nails away from harsh chemicals. While working with such or using harsh cleaning products, always wear gloves to avoid nail damage.
- Avoid picking or biting on your nails. These as well as scratching on them and the cuticles makes them weak which then leads to breakage and slow growth.
- To stimulate faster growth, schedule regular manicures. Where this is not possible trim your nails at home.
- Keep off nail polish containing formaldehyde, toluene or sulfonamide.
- To directly feed your nails with vitamin D, expose your nails to early morning sunlight.